meta data for this page
I want to contribute to Mobian
Everybody is welcome to contribute to Mobian. See below:
I don't have technical skills
There are many very important ways you can help Mobian:
- Writing documentation
- Helping out new users
- Moderating our Matrix Channels
- Any good idea you might have
I have basic tech skills
Please help us with:
- triaging issues on https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issuesGitlab
- filing high quality issues upstream
I have development experience
There's plenty of work to be done improving upstream software used in Mobian (features, bug fixes, etc).
A common need is to adapt application to the size of the screen.
I have Debian packaging experience
We always need help in:
- Maintaining or adding new packages (preferably in Debian first)
- Keeping device-specific kernels up-to-date
- Adding support for new devices
How can I edit the wiki?
Currently, the wiki page is open access to anyone, you just need to sign up for it.
What is the process to become a mod/developer?
Spend time interacting with us.
- If you wish to help mod, please help out the moderators or ask one of the currents mod if you are interested
- If you wish to help package for Mobian, please make the package and ask one of the Mobian Devs to look at it.
- If you wish to develop a feature, don't let us stop you! When you think you have something to show, please show it off in Mobian and ask how to get it into Mobian.
- If you wish to become an official packager/maintainer, please ask one of the mods too.
- If you wish to help with translations, please check how it's done for the software you want to provide translations for. For GNOME software https://l10n.gnome.org/ would probably be the right address
Most of the above requirements require time and trust. Most of the Mobian developers only know each other from online presence, which as you can guess, causes unique challenges for trust.
Who should I talk to if I want to do any of the above?
Please talk to any of the mods in our Mobian Matrix Channel.
I don't know how to package for Debian!
We understand packaging for Debian can seem daunting. Many of the Mobian developers are also on the DebianOnMobile team and maintain those packages.
As luck would have it there is an upcoming Live packaging workshop at Debconf21 (Aug 25): https://debconf21.debconf.org/talks/54-live-packaging-workshop/
You can see examples of packaging here: https://salsa.debian.org/DebianOnMobile-team
The Debian Policy is a great reference is you have any specific questions on packaging: https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/index.html
As a general introduction we refer you to the Debian wiki on packaging which has a guide, a tutorial and more general information about packaging: https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging
If after this you are still having trouble, feel free to reach out in the Mobian Matrix Channel.